Thursday, April 12, 2012

$6.75 Wreath

 

Each season, I try to change out whatever is hanging on my front door, but this year, it’s been bare since December.  B-O-R-I-N-G.  I was lacking inspiration, but then I walked into my local “everything’s $1” store…

I brought home some simple treasures….

IMAG0774

…but after ten minutes, I had come up with a wreath that I love!!

IMAG0775

The base of the wreath is a pool noodle.  I just put the ends together and taped the bejeezus out of it to make sure it holds for a good while.  I picked a green wreath so if it peeked through the flowers, it would not be blaringly obvious.

The flowers are just flower leis.  They come in packs of 3 for $1.  I used 9 leis total, but I might end up adding another 3, just to fill it in a bit more.

To wrap the leis, I first attached one to the noodle with a straight pin, just to keep it in place, then began wrapping.  when I got to the end of a lei, I use tiny safety pins to attach it to the next lei and kept wrapping.  When I got to the end of the last lei, I removed the straight pin holding the first lei, pinned the first and last together, then moved the flowers around the noodle until I liked the way they were laying.  I did not glue the leis for two reasons – so I can reuse the leis and so I can reuse the noodle.

The whirlygig came on a stick but I did not want that ugly black stick hanging down.  So, I did the next best thing – I cut the stick off so there was a post sticking straight back out of the whirlygig.  I picked the perfect spot on the wreath and stuck it straight into the foam.  If I have problems with it staying in, I’ll put a bit of glue in the hold.

I decided the center needed some flair, so I added a simple metal piece I’d picked up at another local discount store for $1.75.

IMAG0777

The noodle is a bit larger around than my wreath hanger is deep, so to keep it from falling off, I cut a slit in the underside of the foam, and pushed the bottom of the hanger into the hole. 

Keep crafting!

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment